August 15, 2022
Raleigh, N.C. [August 15, 2022] – MAKO Medical Laboratories, a national full service reference laboratory and national leader in COVID-19 testing, today announced the company’s accreditation as an American Society of Phlebotomy Technicians (ASPT) training school for phlebotomists, and is launching a training program effective immediately for MAKO team members.
“We care deeply about the needs and wants of our team, and we are excited to be able to offer phlebotomy certifications as yet another career growth opportunity within MAKO,” said Josh Arant, Chief Operating Officer, MAKO Medical. “While we are launching this exciting program internally, we hope to offer the program for individuals outside of MAKO in the beginning of 2023.”
MAKO team members can sign up for the Phlebotomy course through MAKO University (MAKO U), a career enhancement effort established during this rapidly changing time in health care. MAKO will offer this program at no charge to team members across all MAKO locations.
MAKO U has the backing of ASPT, one of the top two phlebotomy certifiers in the U.S. It will include 14 weeks of class time and hands-on instruction, with the potential for expediting the process depending on how quickly students progress through hands-on clinical days.
“Without a certification, phlebotomists are hard pressed to land a job,” said Tiffany Filbeck, MAKO phlebotomy supervisor and lead instructor for MAKO U. “I’m looking forward to pursuing my passion of teaching while making a lasting impact on students’ career trajectories beyond their certification exam.”
In order to pass the program and qualify for the ASPT certification exam, MAKO U students will participate in two, four-hour virtual instruction days per week, paired with online assignments. One month into the program, students will begin hands-on training by practicing on manikin arms before moving to the real thing.
Students will need to conduct 25 successful draws before progressing to their clinical rotation where they must complete an additional 75 successful draws before then taking the ASPT exam for final certification. The exam includes a written portion and a practical blood draw simulation.
As MAKO team members graduate MAKO U and receive their certification, they will be able to return to assist with future classes as instructors. This keeps them involved in the program while also allowing them to stay up-to-date on their skills. Further, as more graduates return to serve as instructors, MAKO hopes to increase teaching capacity enough to open the program up to the public.
The inaugural class will have room for 10 to 12 students and will kick off in August 2022.
Founded in 2014, MAKO Medical is a College of American Pathologists (CAP) accredited laboratory that operates more than 85,000 square feet of laboratory space across three laboratory facilities along the East Coast of the United States. In total, MAKO has capacity to process over 200,000 tests per day.
Since April 2020, MAKO Medical has processed more than 13 million COVID-19 tests utilizing RT-PCR technology and industry-leading testing assays, including the Applied Biosystems TaqPath COVID-19 Combo Assay. The MAKO team also partnered with the CDC to provide next-generation sequencing of SARS-CoV-2 during the height of the pandemic.
MAKO’s core business is setting a higher standard on serving as a diagnostics partner for health care providers across the United States. The MAKO Way delivers turnkey lab services with precision and accuracy.
- August 2022, Inc. magazine recognized MAKO Medical as one of America’s Fastest Growing Private Companies. This is the second time the publication has recognized MAKO in recent years.
- March 2022, Forbes recognized MAKO Medical as one of America’s Best Startup Employers.
- May 2021, the Triangle Business Journal recognized MAKO Medical with a 2021 Life Sciences Award.
- August 2020, MAKO Medical announced the company scored 100% on CAP COVID Proficiency Testing, demonstrating MAKO’s commitment to quality lab results.
- Committed to the U.S. Military—At MAKO’s founding, leaders carved out divisions of the company to hire U.S. military veterans. These teams are foundational to MAKO’s elite and high-touch client services model. In November 2021, MAKO held its second annual Veterans Day lunch to honor veterans, handing out more than 400 free meals Vance County veterans and their family members.